Saturday, May 8, 2010

Someone Like Me :: An Unlikely Story of Challenge and Triumph Over Cerebral Palsy by John W. Quinn

When I first signed up with Facebook, my intention wasn't to "network", make "new" friends, or even to locate old classmates. I simply signed up because a few of my co-workers (past and present) kept asking why I haven't signed up yet?? So one day while messing around on the computer I decided to check it out. Well, let me be the first to say how much I Facebook!! I how you can play games with people around the world, or friends right down the street. I reading about things people are doing, thinking... or just the stupid random thoughts that go through our minds! I leaving a "thumbs up" on posts that I have nothing to comment on... I'm sure you get the idea!

About a month ago I decided (for no real reason) to look for a common interest group on Facebook.... I searched for "Cerebral Palsy". At first I didn't completely understand why... but now realize maybe there was a reason! I ended up finding a few pages that were like support groups for people that have CP and, parents with children that have CP. Their stories touch my heart in ways I cannot describe in words... maybe it's because I have this disability, maybe it's because I feel so BLESSED to be able to live an independent lifestyle because I have it so mild... maybe it's because of the struggles I know these families have to live with every day, and the frustrations each child will be faced with on some level.

While reading through some of the pages, I stumbled on a posting about a new book that had either just been released, or was getting ready to be released. This author (John W. Quinn) had a blog that I went to and read a short excerpt from a chapter in his book. Well, after reading that "teaser"... I knew I had to get this to my mom, who in turn would immediately order the book directly from the author so it would be signed. We were all so excited when the book arrived - both of my parents had it read in a day each!! Then it was my turn!

Someone Like Me is an amazing & inspirational memoir about growing up with Cerebral Palsy and having a career in the U.S. Navy!! If you are anything like me, you may be shaking your head thinking how can a person with CP make a career in the military?!?!? How is this even possible... people without disabilities have a hard time! His story is written so clearly, and with so much feeling and emotion, you will feel like you were there, watching it all happen. His book made me laugh out loud, to the point I had tears streaming down my face... short of his military career, things he wrote about and felt... I did too! This book is without a doubt one of the best memoirs I have read in a long time. It's a MUST READ by all... you don't have to be living with a disability, or even know someone with a disability to read this book. We all live with challenges in our every day lives, and I believe this book will be an inspiration to keep pressing on!! Never give up when you have your heart and mind set on a goal!

Click HERE to visit his personal blog, and HERE to visit his Facebook page.

3 comments:

Justsaynoouija said...

So glad you handed this book off to me tonight! I am excited to read it and looking forward to what I will learn from it!

Ryan said...

I loved John's book so much! I kept cheering him on while reading about his career in the Navy, and I was so thrilled for him that he was able to make his dream come true. He's totally amazing!

BSOJD said...

Wow, what a great book!!!!! Highly recommended! I have been telling others about it and really hope someone realizes that this should be a movie!